Calibrating the Battery Management System
Your Tesla's Battery Management System (BMS) calculates your range, battery level and capacity.
Over time, these calculations may become inaccurate because:
- The calibration accuracy has drifted over time.
- The battery has become imbalanced due to the shifting of individual battery cell voltages.
You can recalibrate the BMS accuracy and rebalance the battery cells by doing the following:
- Let the battery fall below 10%.
- Leave it there for at least an hour.
- Charge the battery beyond 100% — that is, charge to 100%, but keep going until the car is no longer adding any energy from the charger. This may take an hour or longer after reaching 100%.
With any luck, you'll see your range and capacity increase! You can repeat this process a few times until you've maximized your range and the BMS is fully calibrated.